McCollom Development Strategies educates community leaders on how tourism and recreation can contribute to a community’s vitality and long-term prosperity by attracting both visitors and new businesses to the area.
The economic development of communities through outdoor recreation has a proven successful track record. Trail Towns, River Towns and Canal Towns are working together across Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia (and beyond). They’re finding that the approach attracts new businesses, helps existing businesses to expand, creates visitor-friendly communities, and resonates with public and private funding sources.
Our Custom Sustainable Community Program
Depending on the needs of the community, we will structure a team with broad experience in visitor attraction strategies, real estate development, and marketing places. Our steps for launching an asset-based sustainable community program include:
- Educate and engage the community concerning its assets and place value on these assets
- Alongside community members, assess needs related to visitor services
- Develop community-based goals, objectives and priorities
- Create a sustaining community structure to address needs and goals
- Leverage those resources and initiatives already in place locally
- Develop an aggressive action plan and implement short-term projects to create momentum
- Develop a customized business attraction strategy and marketing plan to attract and expand businesses
- Inventory available properties and market through existing community website or create a new site to feature available real estate
- Create an ongoing communication process to update the community on progress
- Benchmark the present business mix and document increased sales over the program life
- Conduct visitor census and demographic research